Kalabasa Leche Flan Recipe
Leche Flan is a traditional Filipino custard dessert. It’s made from eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla.
This recipe, courtesy of businessdiary, puts a twist on the classic by adding a vegetable to the sweet dish – kalabasa is the Filipino squash. We tried this recently and it was a hit. It’s very light, and the addition of the squash keeps it from being sickeningly sweet. It’s also easy to make, and perfect for when you need to whip up dessert in a hurry.
For every cup of mashed kalabasa
1 cup condensed milk
1 whole egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 heaping tsp brown sugar to be caramelized
1. Peel the kalabasa and boil for 20 minutes. Mash thoroughly using a fork.
2. Combine the mashed mixture, milk, egg and vanilla. Set aside.
3. Caramelize the brown sugar and line the pan mold.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined pan mold and cover with aluminum foil or plastic.
5. Steam in hot water (double boiler) for 25 minutes or until done.
6. Chill and serve.